Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sad Songs

So I'm totally stealing this idea from Britunes, but I think he'll be okay with it.
He compiled his six saddest Alanis songs and while I don't share his deep rooted love for the angsty little Canadian, I think that my list is still pretty good.


So we start with something recently sad. I guess it was about a year ago I learned of A Fine Frenzy. The song is Almost Lover. The video for this song combines like two of my favorite things; baby grand pianos & rivers. I was blown away.









The Waterworks:
"Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do"



This is my beloved Sarah. I think I have probably cried to her music more than anyone. I've also cried to this particular (see I can do it too Brian) song more than any other. The song is Do What You Have To Do. Although I probably could have made an entire list of just her songs. But I love variety.











The Waterworks:
"Every moment marked
With apparitions of your soul
Im ever swiftly moving
Trying to escape this desire"




No set of mine would be complete without at least one Broadway song. I think this has to be one of the most gut wrenchingly and beautifully tragic songs I've ever heard. Luckily it comes first in the show so it's all uphill from there. The song is Still Hurting from The Last Five Years.






The Waterworks:
"Give me a day, Jamie
Bring back the lies
Hang them back on the wall
Maybe I'd see
How you could be
So certain that we
Had no chance at all"



I've always been a fan of this song but I didn't really love until it was used in an episode of the West Wing. It fit the moment in this episode in a really weird ironic perfection that is bringing tears to my eyes even as I'm typing this. I adore k.d. Lang's version of this song but if I had to choose my absolute favorite, it would be Jeff Buckley's. The song is Hallelujah.





The Waterworks:

"baby i've been here before
i've seen this room and i've walked this floor
i used to live alone before i knew you
i've seen your flag on the marble arch
but love is not a victory march
it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah"



Damien Rice... Words fail me. He's written some of the most brilliant music and lyrics I've ever heard. I can't even imagine the state of mind he had to be in when he penned this little gem. And I'm sorry if you're offended you'll just have to deal with the swears. I don't care what anyone says they are sometimes warranted. The song is Rootless Tree.








The Waterworks:
"so fuck you,
and all we've been through
I said leave it,
it's nothing to you
and if you hate me
then hate me so good
that you can let me out, let me out,
let me out of this hell when you're around"


Oh Fiona... why must you be so decadently sorrowful? You're words have been the kosher salt in the wounds of my heart for over a decade now. Yet I won't regret one sting or burn you've caused me. On several occasions you've been the only one, the only one, who understood me. I love you Fiona. My number one sad song, Never is a Promise.


The Waterworks:
"You'll never touch - these things that I hold
The skin of my emotions lies beneath my own
You'll never feel the heat of this soul
My fever burns me deeper than I've ever shown - to you"

1 comment:

Brian said...

I fully support your choices!!!! In fact, I have every single one of the songs you picked in a sad mix on my Ipod (Rufus Hallelujiah instead though). Good job, J!

 
eXTReMe Tracker