Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Earth Mother Getting Angry!

From New Hampshire to California, American Indian leaders are speaking out more forcefully about the danger of climate change.

Members of six tribes recently gathered near the Baker River in the White Mountains for a sacred ceremony honoring "Earth Mother." Talking Hawk, a Mohawk Indian who asked to be identified by his Indian name, pointed to the river's tea-colored water as proof that the overwhelming amount of pollution humans have produced has caused changes around the globe.

"It's August color. It's not normal," he said.

"Earth Mother is fighting back - not only from the four winds, but also from underneath," he said. "Scientists call it global warming. We call it Earth Mother getting angry."

Yeah... how about you not call it that. It sounds silly. And I'm not going to let a little "tea colored" water stop me from driving my SUV six blocks to the grocery store. I'm an American dammit!

Thought it might be nice to include this 1971 PSA the Indians did on littering. I know it opened my eyes to how much we take this precious Earth of ours for granted... Why I can barely throw a gum wrapper let alone an entire bag of Wendy's food out of my car without thinking of this video.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker