Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bernadette Peters and Orange Chicken


I really could post this picture and the three of you who read this blog would totally understand. But here it is three days later and I still can't get this woman out of my head.

I know I say this almost every time I see a performer but I think I mean it this time; this is the greatest thing I've ever seen. And I've seen some good stuff; Elaine Paige: First Lady of the British Stage; Linda Eder: a woman with a voice so powerful she gives Barbara Streisand a run for her money; Idina Menzel: really don't need to justify this one.

From the moment her tiny frame took the stage I was mesmerized. This tiny little thing in front of this big orchestra captured my heart before she even finished the word “let”. Her first number was “Let me entertain you” from Gypsy. Then she said Hello and introduced the Symphony. Then she sang something that I don’t think I’ll ever forgive her for, “No one is alone”. This is quite possibly one of the saddest songs ever written; but, also one of the most beautiful. So there I am, Row P, seat 27 of the Eccles Center in Park City, in tears.

And that, three people who read my blog, is when I fell in love with Bernadette Peters.

So…

Earlier that evening I’m eating at my favorite Chinese restaurant, sharing a delightful Beef and Broccoli and Orange Chicken, with my brother, when the thought occurs to me; “Why are we eating here? I’m just going to be hungry again in 2 hours.” But I eat a little more of the Orange Chicken and the thought dissipates back into the recesses of my mind, you know, where I store stuff like lyrics to Saturday's Warrior and entire scenes of dialogue from Beaches.

I’m glad we went there for dinner though. Gin and Nicotine were at acceptable levels, MSG needed a boost.

Sorry to trail off there for a minute but it’s important that I tell you about that because it’s applicable for the next part of my blog.

Where was I? Oh, right; falling madly in love with Bernadette.

While I’m sitting there listening to Bernadette, my mind begins to wander. I don’t know why, it just did. I begin to think about music I like. I own about 400 cd’s. Most of it crap… I’ll admit it. But I was totally in love with it at the time. I mean Yanni, what was I thinking? I’m sure I have 3 of his albums; of course, this was before I was aware that I only needed one, as I have become aware that all his songs sound the same. I even remember hearing ‘Reflections in Passion’ for the first time. I swore then and there that I would never hear something as beautiful as that.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Then for some reason my thoughts turned to Britney, Jessica and Gwen. I don’t know why. And while their songs are great for grinding up against some drunken guy at Gossip… They’re not something I turn to for guidance or comfort. Imagine you’ve just broke up with someone… what would you rather listen to; “Oh baby, baby the reason I breathe is you. Boy you got me blinded” or “Things will come out right now. We can make it so. Someone is on your side. No one is alone…” I know I had a tough time deciding.

And I know that there is different music for different moods… but Britney’s lyrics were so memorable that I had to do a Google search for them. I tried to remember them, but they were no where in my memory. I even looked behind Saturdays Warrior. Nothing!

So at this point I began to make the comparison between Chinese food and pop music. While I love a good pop song as much as the next 12 year old girl, they’re not something that stays with me. (Pop songs I mean.) Pop songs are the Cashew Chicken of the music world. While delicious… they taste almost exactly like everything else on the menu and in 2 hours you’ll have forgotten all about them and be hungry for more.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Bernadette Peters is the Flemings Steakhouse of music. She’s a vast array of selections all guaranteed to make you feel like saying, “As God is my witness, I’ll never go hungry again.”

The way this woman holds a song in the palm of her hand is simply magical. Her song interpretation is legend. She threw down a version of ‘Shenandoah’ (a song that I constantly forget is my favorite) that left my soul in pieces; but in a good way. Following that she sang the tragic ‘Not a Day Goes By’. Pieces of my soul turn to mush.

And when she climbed up on that piano and sang ‘Fever’ I really had to think twice about my sexuality. Luckily I was able to picture Jake Gyllenhaal singing it and all was right with the world.

Lucky for me, she finished with two of the most inspiring songs ever, ‘Being Alive’ and ‘Move on’. Seriously, they make me want to do stuff and get involved. Just like every time I see ‘Rent’.

So yeah that’s about it. Bernadette Peters rocks my world!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bernadette Peters is a man.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Being shattered can be good.

Spenc said...

As one of the three people who read your blog, may I just say that I am SOOOOOO jealous! I'm on my second dvd of "Sondheim, etc." because I cannot live without it. You know, I think Faith has the first copy of it in her apartment... You could borrow it if you want :-)

Anonymous said...

you know.... i think this has to be one of the truest pieces of literature i have read in a long time. can i get an amen?

WNelWeb said...

I've been in love with her for years. She is a consummate performer, actress and singer. She's been known to dance a bit, too. I can only imagine (sorry to say) what she must have sounded like live. Alas, I've never been fortunate enough to see her perform. The one chance I had to see her was way back when "Into the Woods" was running, but as luck would have it, she was out the day I saw it. Joanna Gleason covered the role very well, But I had so hoped to see it with Miss Peters.
Nice post: I enjoyed reading it, but now I have this undefined craving for Chinese food...
;)
Pax,
Nelson

, said...

Totally agree! Bernadette peters is my favorite! I cry every time is listen to no one is alone or not a day goes by (but only when she sings it! No one can top her!) idk if youve heard her rendition of time heals everything from Mack an Mabel but it just bring me to tears its so powerful! God I love her! I'm going to see her next weekend actually!

 
eXTReMe Tracker